Texto por María Bautista
Traducción por Dani Moore
Ilustración por Raquel Blázquez
Alicia and Zachary could not look less alike. Even though they were siblings, and twins. But come on. with exception to their red hair, Alicia and Zachary were as different as night and day. As A and Z. Totally distinct!
Alicia liked dogs and Zachary liked cats. Alicia was tall and Zachary short. And despite being tiny, Zachary wanted to be a basketball player. Alicia liked soccer, of course. Zachary was good at language and Alicia was a real machine in math. In summer, Alicia spent her time jumping through the waves at the beach. Zachary, however, preferred to build sand castles. If Alicia said white, Zachary said black. If Alicia wanted to go right, Zachary preferred to go left. If Alicia wanted to eat a hamburger, Zachary preferred a pizza. It was impossible to get them to agree! They also didn’t like to share anything! What was his was his and what was hers was hers. And there was no way to convince them otherwise.
The summer in which grandpa Paco was in charge of them, the continuous disagreements of his grandchildren was giving him such a headache that it was clear he had to do something.
– But, what happened to these kids? – asked grandpa Paco sitting in the shade of his plaid hat.
Grandpa Paco had had four siblings with whom he played without end when he was a kid. Together they had learned to climb trees, ride bicycles, to do shores. They helped each other, loved each other and had a lot of fun together. But these grandchildren of his…what a disaster!
There was no alternative but to resort to magic. Grandpa Paco crossed his fingers and in a very quirky way, he tugged at his white mustache. One time, two times, three times and POOF! His fairy godmother appeared at his side. For years and years Grandpa Paco did not need even a bit of magic and for that, it had been very long since they saw each other last.
– Dear friend! How happy to return to you! Although, if you call on me, it is because you have a problem. With what can I help you?
Grandpa Paco told her that Alicia and Zachary were incapable of behaving well, that they didn’t share a single thing and that they always enjoyed being opposites.
– Hmmm…those children deserve a good lesson!
The fairy godmother, that was invisible to everyone except for Grandpa Paco, approached the kids, Zachary in the sand, Alicia in the sea, and taking out some fairy dust from the pocket of her dress, she threw some at each of the kids. Suddenly, Zachary and Alicia stopped playing and directed themselves to their grandfather.
– Grandpa, what a strong desire to eat ice cream overcame me! – exclaimed Zachary.
Alicia looked at her brother contrarily. She also had a big appetite for ice cream, but wasn’t about to admit that. However, when Grandpa Paco asked if she wanted one, the little girl enthusiastically replied:
– Yes, yes, I also want one!
Right after saying that, Alicia covered her mouth with her hand. But if that wasn’t what she wanted to say…what had happened to her mouth? It was as if it has it’s own life. And there was no remedy. For the first time in her life, she was about to do something exactly the same as her brother.
But weird things had just begun. When Grandpa Paco and the two kids arrived at the ice cream shop, they began to look at all the flavors…there were so many!
– Strawberry, lime and mint – Alicia said, convinced.
Zachary looked at his sister surprised. Strawberry, lime and mint were just the flavors that he wanted. But for nothing in the world would he choose the same flavors as her. So he looked and looked and decided that chocolate, vanilla and cream would be his flavors. However, once he opened his mouth…
– I also want strawberry, lime and mint!
Right after saying that, Zachary covered his mouth with his hand. Strawberry, lime and mint? That isn’t what he wanted to say. Zachary sighed and resigned, for the first time in his life, he was about to eat exactly the same thing as his sister.
But the strange things still had not stopped.
– Oh no! There is only enough strawberry, lime and mint for one ice cream – exclaimed the ice cream man.
– But yes, there is a ton – protested Alicia.
– That is reserved for other clients. If you two both want an ice cream of strawberry, lime and mint, you will have to share it.
– Share it? – yelled Zachary indignantly.
– Of course, it’s a big ice cream, you can eat it between the two of your – Grandpa Paco confirmed.
Do not speak, thought Alicia very angrily. But when she wanted to say something to her grandfather, her mouth returned to disobeying her:
– What a great idea, Grandpa!
Zachary looked at his sister as if she had turned insane and exclaimed:
-Yes, yes, what a great idea!
The two kids looked at each other astonished, what was happening? But it was like magic, neither could avoid having to share that strawberry, lime and mint ice cream.
– How delicious! – exclaimed Zachary.
– Can you give me a bit of strawberry? – asked Alicia – Mmmmm, yes it is good.
Before they realized, Zachary and Alicia had finished the ice cream. The two looked at each other as if it were the first time they had seen one another.
– Listen, I am going to build a castle in the sand. Do you want to do it with me?
– Okay, and later if you want, we can dip for a bit in the sea and jump through the waves.
The grandfather returned to sitting beneath the shade while he watched his grandchildren having fun. Finally they could enjoy the marvelousness that is having a sibling with whom to play! And so it was that there is nothing better than the magic of a fairy godmother to fix all problems…